Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I chose this political cartoon to write about for my rhetorical analysis paper because I think it says much about how our society has become. In East Tennessee, everybody has something to say about politics, even young adults and sometimes children. But that is far from the case in most places where one is not aware of what candidate is for each party and what they stand for or even that there is an election. Whereas a shockingly large percent of the American population can tell you who was on American Idol. I think it just speaks to how America has become centered around entertainment, when so many voters should be watching the news instead of reality shows.

2 comments:

  1. i completely agree with your blog. I read some statistic that said that only about 50% of Americans vote in the election for the President/Vice President. I'm just speculating here, but I'm pretty sure some of those people who didn't vote for the president, vote for one of the many reality shows we see all over TV today. Whether it is So You Think You Can Dance or American Idol, people seem to take more of an interest in voting for those people, rather than the most important person in the United States. Why this is occurring, I can't tell you, but it is a major problem in our society today and really shows the true priorities of the American people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I like to think I know what I'm talking about when discussing politics. Do I? Probably not, but I know a little. Not much, but a little. Yet, I can still understand why people don't vote for the President of the United States. To some, it's pointless. I live in Alabama, and no matter what, in Alabama, the Republican candidate is going to win. The Republican candidate is going to get our electoral college votes regardless of my vote or not. So, what's the point of me getting up even earlier to go wait in line to vote for something I already know the outcome to?? I completely understand why some choose not to have wait in a long line before work, after work, or during their lunch hour to put a checkmark in a box for an already decided outcome. This is not a positive attitude, I know, but it's one I can't help. I just feel like voting can be a waste of time depending on the person's attitude. Just my opinion, though.

    ReplyDelete